Admirals at Sea Sat 14th & Sun 15th July 2012
The Admirals Saturday Sailors have organised an alternative venue to Weymouth this year and you are invited to take part. Places are strictly limited as the venue although a large club can only accommodate about 12 extra boats because of space restrictions so please if you'd like to come along be sure you're fully committed or you'll be preventing someone else from enjoying the sailing.
Venue: Itchenor Sailing Club (Chichester Harbour)
- The club is very well catered for with superb facilities (they have over 1600 members - half of which sail fixed keel boats). Although space is limited for storage and launching they will find us space to store our boats (up to 12) over the weekend on their storage deck and boats can be launched easily all day from their jetty. Boats need to be offloaded in the public car park and pushed on trolleys about 500m down a private lane.
- Sailing in the harbour is purported to be excellent, possibly even more amenable than Weymouth and is a great location.
- There would be no specific rescue cover but there is so much sailing going on and ribs around, that help would be on hand if anyone got into real difficulties. we do not recommend this trip for total beginners though or anyone nervous about going onto the sea for the first time although it is relatively sheltered.
- Trailers need to be left in the public car park so will need a lock and there is a weekend car park charge of £5.50 or £3.50 per day.
- Harbour dues are £5.20 for the weekend and the club can arrange passes for us on arrival.
- There is accommodation above the clubhouse comprising 8 rooms some of which are en-suite costing from £46 - £60 per room per night (Twins mainly). The clubhouse is open for breakfast from 8.30am. Alternatively there is a pub with rooms 2 minutes away in Itchenor or B&B's in the general vicinity and Chichester which is about a 10-15 minute drive.
- The local pub looks good for an evening meal and the clubhouse serves canteen style food all day until about 8pm
- The club would want a small fee for storing boats and using the facilities currently estimated at £20 per boat.
The outline plan is to start with a briefing at 10.30am on Saturday morning and be on the water by 11 am. Sailing will then continue in the afternoon and on Sunday until approx 16:00. The sailing activities will be weather dependent, but can be agreed depending on participants.
People can choose to travel down on Friday evening or Saturday morning as they wish, or indeed to join us later on Saturday.
We intend to book a table for a group meal in the local pub on the Saturday evening for any who would like to join us.
Whilst organised by Admiral's Saturday Sailors, we would like to encourage any member of BSC interested to join us.
If you'd like to come along please send an email to confirming names of those participating and the type of boat you'll be bringing. I will then confirm that places are available and will provide details of where to send a cheque for £20 to cover the clubs fees and secure your booking. All other costs will be paid by you direct to the venue and final details of how to book these will be provided in our reply along with details regarding booking accommodation etc.
Don't forget places are limited so it's first come first served